The Livestock Council aims to support and grow a strong and vibrant domestic supply chain for cattle, sheepmeat and wool, and is comprised of Sheepmeat/Beef and Wool committees to meet this goal. The Council, which was formed in 2016 through the amalgamation of the Meat and Wool Councils, meets regularly to discuss and make policy on issues affecting livestock.
The Livestock Council is proactive via representation on a number of peak industry councils on a national level, and use this platform to advocate on behalf of members on all livestock issues. At present, WAFarmers is a member of WoolProducers Australia.
We advocate for transparency and integrity in the domestic supply chain that aims to allow producers to be competitive and grow, and for the promotion of animal welfare. Livestock producers are in an excellent position to understand and promote animal welfare and we want to improve public perceptions and help people understand the stewardship role that farmers take with animals.
On a daily basis, the Livestock Section represents farmers on a wide range of industry issues including:
- Live export;
- Animal health and welfare;
- Disease (such as footrot, foot and mouth, Bovine/Ovine Johnes disease);
- Biosecurity management and strategies;
- Best practice techniques;
- Wild dogs and pests;
- Wool levies;
- Research, development and investment;
- Consumer education;
- Industry promotion, education and training; and,
- State and national representation.
- Timelines for the Sheep Standards and Guidelines
- Timelines for the Cattle Standards and Guidelines
- Update on the Saleyard Standards and Guidelines
- Updated timelines from WA and ACT for the Land Transport Standards and Guidelines
For specific information on implementation and timelines please contact your relevant State or Territory Government agency.
- National Environmental Biosecurity Response Agreement (NEBRA) Five Year Review - 17 March 2017
- Review of the Declared Pests of Western Australia Intergovernmental Agreement on Biosecurity - 30 July 2016
- WAFarmers Response to DAFWA Biosecurity Funding Mechanisms - 25 July 2016
- AWI Strategic plan Development 2016-17 to 2018-19 - 6 May 2016
- Western Australian Draft Wild Dog Action 2016-2021 - 15 April 2016
- BJD – Where to from here submission - November 2015
- AWI Wool Selling Systems Review second submission - September 2015
- Review of RSPCA operations submission - July 2015
- Recast National BJD Strategy submission - May 2015
- Animal Protection Bill 2015 submissison - 11 March 2015
- AWI Wool Selling Systems Review submission - March 2015
- Australian Beef Language White Paper submission - February 2015
- Changes to WA Livestock Sale Days submission - February 2015