WAFarmers Beekeepers Section represents the commercial beekeepers in the state. The Beekeepers Section meets four times per year to deal with state and national policy issues affecting beekeepers in Western Australia. Executive members are represented on a number of Government and Industry Committees ensuring that views of beekeepers are maintained.
The Beekeepers Section is a state representative body that has membership to the national peak body, the Australian Honey Bee Industry Council. National representation around the table is of paramount importance for the future sustainability of the bee industry which is in a unique position on a global scale.
On a daily basis, the Bees Council represents apiarists on a wide range of industry issues including:
- Access to public land for beekeeping and land clearing concerns;
- Apiary site rentals, permits, distances between sites and locations;
- Honey bee and pollination biosecurity and quarantine protocols;
- Diseases, pests and chemicals;
- Husbandry management and genetic improvement;
- Bee nutrition and extension;
- Research, development and investment;
- Consumer education;
- Industry promotion and education; and,
- State and national representation.
Recent submissions and resources: